Recent Posts

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8
USB PC Watchdog / Re: Correct use of Passive and Active modes
« Last post by nkent01 on October 10, 2013, 01:24:32 »
The Hardware Manual states:
3.6 Switch #5 - Power On Delay (POD)
In Passive or Active Mode the Watchdog will delay starting the timeout counter until it "sees" the first
activity in either of these modes.
** NOTE ** - Be Careful with this switch. If it is on and the PC locks up during reset then the board
would not get “tickled” since no program would load.

It looks like what happens with my unit but I double-checked and SW5 is in the OFF position.
« Last post by nkent01 on October 09, 2013, 22:48:31 »
Thank you, I understand; so what I found about Passive and Active together is the normal operation.

On reviewing my previous post, I think I could summarize the concern as "need the Active Mode to start automatically after the power-on delay".
So, I'm not sure I'm doing this correctly but the Active Mode countdown seems to only start via software and not automatic.
Referencing an old post for using with Linux (http://forum.bkp-store.com/index.php?topic=26.msg44#msg44) the watchdog doesn't start until opening the device and closing without the magic character. In other words, if the SW to tickle is not started, the timer doesn't start so the PC never resets.
Is this normal?

I realize that if it were to start automatically and the SW never starts it could end up in an infinite loop resetting the computer, but I'm willing to take the risk.

Thanks
« Last post by Admin on October 09, 2013, 19:00:19 »
We would recommend that you not use passive mode. If there is any polling activity on the USB bus it will keep the board from resetting the PC. Just use SW2 to set Active (Command) mode.
USB PC Watchdog / Correct use of Passive and Active modes
« Last post by nkent01 on October 08, 2013, 17:30:07 »
My understanding from reading PN1140 manual, testing, and the internet:
A - Passive and Active modes can be used together or separate.
B - When used together, both need to lose the monitor (USB polling AND program tickle) for the PC to reset.

Problems:
P1: Due to "B", even if the SW had crashed if USB clock is still alive the PC never resets. I force a kernel crash and the computer is unresponsive to anything but reset and off, however the watchdog is still happy blinking along. Disabling Passive mode causes reset as expected.
P2: When using Active mode only the PC occasionally hangs during reboot. Even if Passive mode were active, it might not help if the PC HW is not fully frozen and the USB polling starts OK. This is very likely since the USB is started early during boot to look for keyboard and only after that it continues with detecting devices.

Questions:
Q1: Is there any solution for addressing the hang during reboot situation?
Q2: Am I missing something, is there a way for the Active mode to override the Passive mode and reset solely on missing the tickle but still rely on Passive during reboot if it takes too long(and USB doesn't start)? 

Configuration:
AMD Dual Opteron @ 2.9GHz 4GB RAM
openSUSE 12.3 x64
P/N 1140 ("old" type)
Using custom application, based on Linux-related posts on this Forum

Thank you
BPI Watchdog Software / BPI_WDog_Tickle can be run as a service in Windows
« Last post by Admin on October 06, 2013, 16:45:38 »
This was shared by one of our users:

I find also that the included tickle program BPI_WDog_Tickle can be run as a service in Windows using Pirmasoft RunAsSvc (http://www.pirmasoft.com/runassvc.php) which is freeware.  This way the watchdog is tickled whenever the OS is running, even if no user is logged on.  It's working great.  The only drawback to this method is that the GUI for the tickle program is not accessible, so there is no visual status information (though the important stuff is visible in the config tool BPI_WDog_Config) and it must be configured via the INI file.  I have only tested this configuration on Windows Server 2003 Enterprise 32-bit.  I am using Primasoft RunAsSvc with another product on Windows 7 Enterprise 32-bit successfully but have not tested your tickle program on that OS.

Running the tickle software as a service makes the whole product transparent to the operation of Windows (except in Safe Mode) and provides built-in recovery/notification options if it crashes.
USB PC Watchdog / Re: How do I install a Windows 7 x64 USB driver for PN1140?
« Last post by Admin on October 04, 2013, 12:10:09 »
You do not need a driver. The board uses the built in Window HID driver for 32 & 64 bit versions.
USB PC Watchdog / How do I install a Windows 7 x64 USB driver for PN1140?
« Last post by rr_side on October 02, 2013, 21:46:50 »
How do I install a Windows 7 x64 USB driver for PN1140?
BPI Watchdog Software / 64 Bit DLL Added
« Last post by Admin on September 09, 2012, 14:30:36 »
A 64 bit DLL and sample code has been added to the distribution CD.
It is in the sub-directory: WDog_Univrsl_ConsoleAp_x64

You can download it at: Download
PCI & PCIe PC Watchdog / PCIe Express not Recognized - COM Port too High
« Last post by Admin on August 26, 2012, 12:59:41 »
The PCIe Express version of the board uses an interface chip that has two PCIe serial COM ports. In some cases Windows assigns these COM ports to really high numbers - like COM 41 & 41.

The DLL we supply to auto-scan for our board stops searching at COM 25 to keep the search time reasonable. Therefor it fails to find an installed board.

The fix is easy.

Go into device manager and re-assign the two COM ports to something like COM16 & COM17. Windows may show a warning - but will let you change them unless there is truly another COM port there.

We are not sure why Windows assigns new COM ports such high numbers sometimes.
PCI & PCIe PC Watchdog / Re: Four digital inputs in PCI & PCIe boards
« Last post by Admin on June 21, 2012, 08:49:34 »
Those inputs are general purpose only and completely under user control from their application program using the DLL interface. They can be used for sensing external dry contact switches. They have no effect on the watchdog operation.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8